Think exercise clothes don’t make a difference in the likelihood of enjoying a successful workout? Think again! The clothes that you choose can actually have a very big impact on your chances of completing a workout routine one day and returning the next to get the job done again.
Why do clothes matter? There are a number of reasons why it pays to take a little time to consider what workout clothes to wear.
- Comfort – Selecting the right workout clothes can have a big impact on personal comfort during a routine. If clothing isn’t comfortable or it happens to chafe, it’s much easier to throw in the towel earlier. Plus, tight-fitting clothes and shoes can promote chafing and blisters that might sideline a return visit to a gym later in the week.
- Attitude – It’s hard to feel good about working out when looking good is a concern. If appearances matter—and they do—it can be important to choose workout clothes that make you feel comfortable.
Tips for Picking the Right Clothes
Workout clothing doesn’t have to be costly or have a designer name to be a great choice. The key factors to consider when picking out exercise clothing are:
- The fit – It’s important that workout clothing be as comfortable as possible. Although loose-fitting is often the best, a snug fit is fine as long as chafing isn’t a concern. Just go with clothing that “feels” right and allows for a full range of motion.
- The material – Exercise clothing should allow the skin to properly breathe. Cotton material is often the best for this reason. If cotton isn’t a preferred choice, select a material that is soft and doesn’t feel scratchy.
- The color – Believe it or not, color can matter in workout clothing. Select colors that are personally pleasing and go well with others. It can be fun to have plenty of options in workout clothes, which means being able to mix and match is always a good thing.
A Word about Shoes
Shoes are also part of the workout attire. Be sure to select a pair that’s comfortable to wear and doesn’t cause strain on the feet when running, walking or riding a bicycle. We’ve done a couple other articles about running shoes and picking the right shoes. Check out the articles on our website (www.custombodiesfitness.com), in our magazine, or on our Facebook page.
Sticking to a workout routine often calls for mind over matter. This is why it can pay to have clothes that make you feel comfortable when you’re ready to hit the gym. If you look good, you’re going to feel good about yourself and the steps you are taking to improve personal fitness levels.
About the Author
Dave Mugavero and his wife, Paula, are the co-founders of Custom Bodies Fitness in Irvine, California. They are extremely proud of their success as the top rated health club in Orange County. Dave has been in the fitness industry for over 24 years, and is widely considered by his peers to be a “Weight Loss Guru”. His extensive knowledge of nutrition, human physiology, personal training and weight loss techniques, and his caring commitment to each client are what make him an expert in his field. He has been a top ranked Natural Body Builder and highly sought after personal trainer and lecturer. Paula Mugavero has competed in Ms. Bikini America, Galaxy and is an NPC Master Figure Champion as well.